Ask The Experts

I have a 4mm diameter bone cyst (hole in bone) in the 4th metatarsal (CT scan) which an orthopedic surgeon called a stress fracture. What are the best ways to heal from this? Surgeon is recommending surgery because it is believed I have had this for several years, but I want to get it to heal on its own if possible. I have chosen to get on crutches (knee scooter), foot boot, acupuncture, & kinesio tape. I am a hiker, 60 years old.

Thank you for contacting us. IPFH does not diagnose conditions or offer medical advice on line. In general, when dealing with foot conditions, it is best to initiate treatments by trying less invasive methods first, and most physicians will take this approach unless there are extenuating circumstances. If less invasive approaches don't resolve the issue, then phyisicans would typically try more aggressive methods. Surgery usually is a "last resort." In your situation, you might want to confer with your surgeon about less invasive treatments such as the ones you describe and see if he/she agrees that there is a chance that those would be effective. You might also get a second opinion from another surgeon or from a foot health professional. Whatever treatment you undertake on your own, we would strongly recommend that you do it in consultation with a medical professional. Because of the uncertain length of time this condition has existed and because your mobility is at stake, it is important for you to be careful and to pursue the treatment(s) that has the highest probability of success. We hope you will continue to be in consultation with a physician or foot health specialist and that your condition will soon be successfully resolved.

Not what you were looking for? Submit a question or Search Again

Was this helpful?