Ask The Experts

What can I do if my child has extra fat pad on his feet?

Thank you for contacting IPFH. We do not diagnose or provide medical advice on line. You don't say who it was that indicated to you that your child has extra fat padding on his feet. If it was his pediatrician, we'd suggest you ask him or her to provide an opinion as to what, if anything, should be done. Alternatively, you could request that he or she refer you to a foot health professional to evaluate your child. In this case, a doctor of podiatric medicine (DPM, or podiatrist) would probably be the most appropriate foot health professional to consult. If you have not been told by a medical professional that your child has extra fat padding, but have observed it yourself, the best course of action would be to consult his pediatrician, who can then advise you on the proper course of action. Keep in mind that children's fat pads tend to be thicker and more "vital" than those of adults, because they have not had as much time to wear down over the course of walking and running. You can learn more about fat pads from our article "Fat Pads: What You Need to Know." You can also learn more about various children's foot conditions here. We hope you will soon have all the information you need to determine what, if anything, you need to do about your child's feet, and we wish you and him the very best.

Not what you were looking for? Submit a question or Search Again

Was this helpful?