Ask The Experts

What can I do other than RICE after seven months of pain?

Thank you for contacting IPFH. We do not diagnose conditions or make treatment recommendations on line. RICE (rest, ice, compression and elevation) typically is recommended for soft tissue injuries, but usually it is a short term remedy for conditions such as sprains, strains and bruises and is best used within about 72 hours of the injury. Recent studies have called into question the effectiveness of this treatment for ankle sprains (click this link to read a study that found that "randomized controlled trials provide insufficient evidence to determine the effectiveness of rest, ice, compression, and elevation (RICE) therapy for acute ankle sprains in adults"). But at any rate, because you note that your condition has lasted for seven months, it would be best for you to consult your primary care physician. You don't say exactly where your injury is, or the nature of it, but seven months is a long time for a soft tissue injury not to resolve. Therefore, we suggest that you contact your primary care physician in order that he or she can examine you and either provide you treatment to help resolve it, or refer you to a specialist who can treat you. We hope you will do this soon, and that you will very quickly have a resolution to your condition.

Not what you were looking for? Submit a question or Search Again

Was this helpful?