Medical Considerations for Metatarsalgia

If you injure your forefoot, you should seek medical help immediately. If the pain lasts for more than several days to a week, it is advisable to see a foot care specialist such as a podiatrist or orthopaedic specialist.

Sesamoiditis - inflammation of the sesamoids located in the forefoot below the big toe - can often be mistaken for metatarsalgia because the pain is in the same general area.  To identify the source of the pain and get a proper diagnosis, it is best to consult a foot health professional.


Reviewed by: Robert P. Thompson, C.Ped, IPFH Scientific Advisory Board
Last updated: June 30, 2015 

More About Metatarsalgia

Was this helpful?